Smart Future Graz
Smart Cities require both new (energy) technologies and a paradigm shift in the understanding of urban planning and development. Among the key challenges for realizing sustainable cities are not only the integration of technology areas and the acceptance by citizens and relevant players (multi-stakeholder involvement), an interdepartmental/interdisciplinary process control (smart governance) and innovative financing measures for urban (infrastructure) projects.
Smart City Project Graz Mitte
The starting point for the Smart City Project Graz Mitte is exceptionally good. Stakeholders in the field of energy research have in previous projects developed new energy technologies that are now ready to proceed to demonstration status. A previous project, I LIVE GRAZ, which was developed under the framework of the program Smart Energy Demo – FIT for SET, was created with the goal of sustainable development strategies and formed the basis for the present pilot project. The City Council of the City of Graz has taken a multi-year financial decision in favor of the project.
Goal: Zero Emissions
Smart City Project Graz Mitte is a project to demonstrate urban technologies for the use of renewable energy sources, but is also a spatially integrated, networked urban development project, which is located in the presently heterogeneous and multi-use urban district close to the main train station.
The goal is the innovative implementation of these technologies to obtain a sustainable, livable and intelligent district with the lowest possible emissions (zero emissions as the target) and low resource consumption, which not only uses sustainable energy, but also aims for sustainable mobility and social mixing.
- Demonstration and testing of technology components
- Integration of these technology components during the implementation of concrete demonstration construction projects and neighborhood concepts
- Implementation of an integrated planning process that considers a smart urban development from a holistic perspective and makes this visible and perceivable for all relevant stakeholders and citizens
- The development of innovative funding models, scientific monitoring and evaluation, and regular exchanges with participating and cooperating national and international partner cities are just some of the further cornerstones of the project
- Implementation of each planned demonstration project as the basis for sustainable district – as far as possible
- Specification and securing of finance for further phases of construction
- New insights and models for integrated and holistic urban planning and development processes that can be transferred and applied to other districts and target areas
|Project Data – Implementation Project of the 2nd Call 2011
|Total project costs:
|Stadt Graz Stadtbaudirektion
|AVL List GmbH
|Holding Graz – Kommunale Dienstleistungen GmbH
|Energie Steiermark AG
|Hans Höllwart – Forschungszentrum für integrales Bauwesen AG
|SFL technologies GmbH
|Energie Graz GmbH & Co KG
|Technische Universität Graz – Institut für Städtebau
|ECO WORLD STYRIA Umwelttechnik Cluster GmbH
|Alfen Consult GmbH
|DI Markus Pernthaler Architekt ZT GmbH
|SOT Süd-Ost Treuhand Gesellschaft m.b.H.
|StadtLABOR GRAZ – Innovationen für urbane Lebensqualität