Smart Satellite City Deutschlandsberg
The city of Deutschlandsberg and the new Intercity (IC) rail station in West Styria have ambitions to become a Smart Energy region. The overall goal for the entire region is to become “a green valley with green jobs and green investments on a green field”. By 2050 CO2 emissions are to be reduced 80% by measures in the existing energy system, and new systems (such as the IC rail station) are to be established as zero emission examples of best practice.
After the completion of the Koralmbahn start in the period after 2020, the future IC rail station in West Styria will connect the Deutschlandsberg district to the central areas of Graz, Vienna and Klagenfurt. With 3000 passengers a day, it can be assumed that the new transportation node will become the focal point of a new urban quarter providing new residential space for about 10,000 people between the new rail station and the district capital Deutschlandsberg 6 km from there. The SSCD planning area includes the communities of Deutschlandsberg and Frauental/Lassnitz as well as parts of Gross Sankt Florian and Unterbergla.
In the Smart Satellite City for Deutschlandsberg (SSCD) concept, four communities – Deutschlandsberg, Frauental, Gross Sankt Florian and Unterbergla – have formed a joint development partnership to constitute the “green satellites” for the regional capital Graz, high-tech garden city with the highest quality-of-life. With SSCD, the entire city is a demonstration of smart energy and a Smart City renewal project.
It will be distinguished by:
- A primary focus on the satisfaction of residents
- An emphasis on combining all aspects to achieve urban society which is viable for the future and has moved beyond fossil fuels
- And overall perspective on total integration of our urban energy system with all aspects of city development and renewal.
- The future city concept SSCD consistently places its entire system at a labor level. We aim consistently for an open system of “prosumers”, that is a transparent, open structure for all demands and every technically innovative supply-side solution. The framework for meta-technology thus created will become an SED project itself.
- A strong influx of residents and labor over four decades.
- Attractiveness for investors (particularly corporations and private individuals). The vision, framework and emphasis offer clear general conditions for capital investment. A duel financing model for the entire urban transformation in the decades before 2050 provides a basis for consistent viability of financing.
- A special status due to the unique development opportunities offered by the Koralmbahn project.
- A pioneering role for the radical transformation of the modal split over four decades in favor of electrically powered public transportation and the corresponding reduction in carbon emissions.
- New “green” and “greening” jobs.
- Affordable power for all residents and companies.
- Rising income and property values.
Action plan developed
- A commitment to the “SSCD testbed” in the corresponding policy and planning documents – (national, regional and city) reports and plans, including key links to land use planning, for example zones for priority and exclusive uses.
- Attractiveness of nonmotorized and public transportation options, including the restructuring of existing rail and bus stations to become intermodal points for mobility, improvement of the infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians, and coordination of public transportation schedules in the region.
- The introduction of innovative measures for mobility, such as mobility monitoring, a mobility map, the PRO.MOTION program and mobility education.
- The “Deutschlandsberg Mitte” urban renewal zone (as a target area and testbed).
- A further target area and testbed, “Frauental Mitte” with a new school center.
- The SSCD solar initiative (using 50,000 m² of roof area identified as suitable)
- Renewable street lighting (master plan and implementation)
- A waste heat register and district heating (stage and integration planning)
- A startup for area and real estate management for industry and commercial properties
- Establishment of competence nodes for greening industrial and commercial development
- Green investments: preparation of industrial areas for recycling
- Lobbying for the SSCD “brand” as the greening satellite city
There has been an establishment of emphasis and creation of a brand. The city of the future centered around Deutschlandsberg, the Schilcherland region and the new Koralmbahn rail project have become known for their innovative approaches. The message is that the “smart satellite” city will be the greening city of the future for Styria in the year 2050.